If you are renovating your house or apartment, be sure to pay close attention to what you do to your kitchen. As the heart of your home, the kitchen will often be the most difficult room to redecorate. Between being used for food preparation, eating and casual relaxation, this room is likely to be the one where most of your waking hours are spent.
Choosing your perfect kitchen cabinets carefully can be the difference between owning a kitchen that is attractive for a few years and one that can quickly look dated. Not only should you consider your family’s current and future needs and comfort, remember that a modern looking kitchen with generous storage space can be a major selling feature when you decide to sell your home down the line.
It is easy to become overwhelmed by the wide variety of available kitchen cabinet choices. Here are five useful tips to help you decide how to pick the right cabinet doors for your home:
1) Avoid blindly following fashion trends. Many of the popular choices in cabinets quickly are left behind. Everybody remembers the blinding avocado and gold kitchens from the 1970’s, but not many people would go out of their way to choose a kitchen decorated that way now. Selecting a timelessly classic look for your kitchen cabinets is more likely to give you a kitchen that will still be considered attractive in a decade or two.
2) When you are staying with traditional custom crafted kitchen cabinet design, you are not restricted to plain or old fashioned accessories. You can be as creative as you like with your drawer pulls and cabinet knobs, since replacing those later on is an inexpensive way to give a new look to your kitchen.
3) Solid hard woods that can be refinished later on are always a safe bet. Remember that luxurious detailed engravings or raised beads and panels require more care when dusting, cleaning and polishing. Choosing a traditional European style for your kitchen cabinet doors adds an extra element of elegance to your kitchen. A classically handcrafted kitchen cabinet made with the full “mortise and tenon” joint ensures that the cabinet will last a lifetime.
4) Custom kitchen cabinet doors have an understated sophistication that look beautiful in any setting. Remember that dark cabinets show dirt more quickly than lighter colors and will require additional care. Finishes or stains offer a variety of alternative colors and finishes, if you prefer. Some of these decorative coats add texture to the surface, such as crackling, distressing or glazing.
5) Mounting Calgary kitchen cabinet doors can be done in many ways. Traditional door overlays, where the cabinet case can be seen around the hinged door, is the most commonly seen variety. The least often used are the inset doors. These doors are set into the cabinet case and the front of the door is flush against the front of the case.